So, I’ve been reaching out to consultants with books this past week to test some new cold outreach training I have.
And I’m surprised (not in a good way) at the number of books I’ve found on Amazon where authors:
- Don’t use their book to grow a list
- Don’t have a website listed ANYWHERE in their book
- Have no post-book offer (e.g., bonus resources, free videos, etc)
- If they have a website, they don’t have FUNNELS, e.g., book funnel, lead magnets, webinars, etc.
And I’m going to go out on a limb and say that they’re probably not using their book in a shock and awe package to prospects, to book podcasts, or to get a foot in the door on TV.
If your book ISN’T making you money, the reason is the above. Books are ideal for consultants, and to go to the trouble of writing one and then NOT take advantage is kind of silly.
If you’re a consultant who HASN’T written a book but are thinking about it, here’s what I suggest:
- Write the damn book. If you need help, contact Rob at http://anspachmedia.com/ or check out Bob Bly’s “Write and Sell Kindle Ebooks for Fun and Profit”
- When you write it, include a BONUS OFFER in the front area, back area, and back cover. See Dan S. Kennedy’s “No B.S.” books as an example.
- Use that bonus offer to grow your list of qualified leads, because anyone who’s going to spend a few hours with you on your book topic is going to have the problem you solve.
- Sell products and offers to that list. Email daily.
- Use your newly published book to get in front of other people’s traffic, such as on podcasts, guest posts, speaking engagements, and YouTube.
- Use the book in “shock and awe” packages to prospects you really want to work with. Think $10K+ accounts. What’s $15-$100 to mail a package when you get $10K back? No brainer!
- Give an extra copy of your book to clients to give to a friend as a “gift”. Include a free consultation call with you inside the book.
That’s really it. If you’d like help designing a strategy around books, or to write the funnel copy, you know where to find me. Simply email firstname.lastname@example.org to start the conversation.
Here’s to your health, wealth, and abundance,
P.S. There’s a way to do this with fiction too. 🙂
P.P.S. Bob Bly has a lot of resources, including a course on becoming a six figure consultant. Get them all here.